Spring is here! So are higher temperatures and humidity…
Plan ahead to ensure your summer comfort by performing these basic maintenance tasks:
- Replace or clean your furnace filter. There are all kinds of filters out there. Some need to be replaced monthly, quarterly or seasonally. There are also ‘permanent’ or ‘lifetime’ filters that require regular rinsing for best performance. Identify the type and size of your replaceable filters and add calendar reminders to buy and change them based on your system’s requirements. Reminders are also helpful for periodically cleaning permanent filters if you have those.
- Check condensate drainage. When you start running your AC, it will develop water condensation that needs to drain away from the indoor HVAC unit if your system has one. Locate and verify the drain is clear. If the drain is plugged, the water can build up and leak into your home causing damage to walls and floors.
- If your home has a built-in dehumidifier, refer to the operating manual and perform any required and suggested maintenance to ensure maximum performance when it is needed.
- Inspect the outside unit of your HVAC system. Look for any vegetation or debris that may block the free flow of air around, into, and out of the unit.
- After you have done the basic steps above, add this to your to-do list: inspect and clean your bathroom vent fans. They may not have any effect on heating/cooling, but they can impact your indoor air quality. Remove the vent covers (be sure the fan is off first) and wash or vacuum them. Buildup on the fan blades can be removed with a soft brush or paper towel.
If you would prefer to have annual HVAC maintenance handled by professionals, call Millian-Aire to schedule a service call. We also offer the peace of mind of our Millian-Aire Club plan that includes two preventive maintenance inspections per year. Learn more here.